Welcome to the ASA's 175th anniversary website, created to help you celebrate this special occasion with us. We invite you to explore the ASA's long history and learn about the people, places, and events that helped shape it. We also hope you will look to the future with us as we put new programs into place that will energize our association.
Celebrate with us by doing any of the following:
- Entering ASA's Got Talent, the ASA's unique talent competition
- Looking for clues in Amstat News and playing ASA's Trivia Challenge
- Sharing your experiences in our virtual scrapbook
- Sending in your design for the ASA's official 175th anniversary T-shirt
- Downloading the 175th anniversary logo or poster to use or display wherever you would like
- Telling us what activities you have planned
You can learn more about the ASA's history and future by reading Column 175, which is published monthly in Amstat News. This column, written by members of the 175th Anniversary Celebration Steering Committee, is full of interesting facts and helpful information.
Finally, consider participating in the activities planned for the celebration at JSM 2014 in Boston, Massachusetts:
- Keep the invited session "Energize Our Future" in mind when planning your schedule. Jessica Utts of the University of California, Robert Rodriguez of SAS, and Ronald Wasserstein of the ASA will discuss the future of statistical sciences and just who will celebrate the ASA's 200th anniversary.
- Plan to attend the 175th Anniversary Celebration on August 5, right after the president's address. Highlights will include a champagne toast and performances by the winners of ASA's Got Talent.
- Stop by the 175th anniversary booth in the exhibit hall to talk with members of the steering committee, pick up a lapel pin, and have your picture taken with a trio of famous statisticians.
Visit this site often. You can expect to read about momentous occasions for the ASA and in the lives of statisticians and the statistical sciences in general as we usher in and experience the ASA's 175th year.