Austin Chapter of the American Statistical Association
1. NOVEMBER AUSTIN ASA MEETING: The November meeting of the Austin Chapter of the ASA will feature a presentation by pharmaceutical consultants Drs. Ron Harrist and Kay Kimball at 6 PM, Monday, November 15th, 2004, in Sid Richardson Hall room SRH 3.111 (next to our usual meeting room at the LBJ School).
Free parking for the talk is available in the LBJ School of Public Affairs parking lots on the west side of Red River Road, just south of Dean Keeton (26th St.) Red River Road is one block west of IH-35, which it parallels. See map at http://www.utexas.edu/maps/ for further information.
"MULTILEVEL STATISTICAL MODELS"
Multilevel statistical models, also called mixed models or random coefficient models, provide a powerful new statistical tool with many applications, especially in public health and epidemiology. In this talk, we will summarize the fundamental concepts and review the rationale for the use of multilevel models, including models for continuous and dichotomous outcomes. Examples of applications of multilevel models in epidemiology and public health will be given.
2. ELECTIONS: Past-President Tom Bohman will send out ballots shortly to Austin Chapter (ASA) Full and Associate Members for 2005 officers for 2005; elections will be conducted in late October by e-mail.
3. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS: At the last meeting it was decided to set up a chapter constitutional review committee to refine amendments proposed for consideration at the December 6th meeting by paid-up Regular and Associate members of the chapter. If you wish to propose any amendments to our chapter constitution to strengthen our chapter, please submit them to Ray Marr by Saturday, November 13th, so that the Constitutional Review Committee can consider them and present them to the membership for ratification at the December meeting.
4. DECEMBER AUSTIN ASA MEETING: The December meeting will be held on December 6th at the LBJ School and will feature UT Professor Tom Sager.
5. SEMATECH STATISTICAL METHODS SYMPOSIUM: The 21st Sematech Statistical Methods Symposium will be held October 26-27 in conjunction with the 1st Annual International Sematech Manufacturing Initiative (ISMI) Symposium on Manufacturing Effectiveness, October 25-28, at the Omni Downtown. Registration is $495. For more information, including agenda, abstracts, and registration information, please visit http://www.sematech.org/meetings/announcements/7361.htm.
6. 2005 ENAR SPRING MEETING: The 2005 Spring Meeting of the Eastern North America Region of the International Biometrics Society will be held at the Austin Hilton, March 20-23. See http://www.enar.org/meetings.htm for details.
7. 2005 COTS: For those planning ahead, the 2005 meeting of the Conference of Texas Statisticians, will be held April 1-2, 2005, in Dallas, Texas. See http://www.smu.edu/statistics for further information.