2011 NESSIS Program Schedule
Talk and poster abstracts
The symposium format will be a mixture of talks and posters.
More information about the program will continue to be added to this page as
it becomes available.
The proceedings of the symposium will be published in a special issue of the
Journal of Quantitative Analysis in
We are pleased to confirm our afternoon panel discussion on NBA analytics.
- Sam Hinkie - Executive VP of Basketball Operations, Houston Rockets
- Roland Beech - Director of Basketball Analytics, Dallas Mavericks
- Kenny Atkinson - Assistant Coach, New York Knicks
- Zach Lowe - NBA writer for SI.com, the Sports Illustrated web site
2011 NESSIS Confirmed Oral Presentations
Cheating in football:
Team culture, player behavior, or question of circumstance?
- Chris Stride, University of Sheffield
Accurate, automated, Bayesian table tennis ratings for clubs,
leagues, tournaments and organizations
- David J. Marcus, Ratings Central
Seed distributions for NCAA men's basketball tournament:
Why it may not matter who plays whom
- Sheldon H. Jacobson, University of Illinois
The value of teamwork:
Estimating individual performance via a statistical network algorithm
- James Piette, Krossover Intelligence Inc.
Improving NHL player ability ratings with hazard function models
for goal scoring and prevention
- Samuel Ventura and Andrew Thomas, Carnegie Mellon University
Comparing market efficiency with traditional and non-traditional
ratings systems in ATP tennis
- Adrian Schembri, RMIT University, Melbourne
RUSH: Ratings using score histories
- Todd L. Graves, Los Alamos National Laboratory
A framework for tactical analysis and individual off ensive
production assessment in soccer using Markov chains
- Sarah Rudd, On Football Research and Consulting
Scouting analytics: Use of statistical information
in MLB personnel decisions
- J.P. Ricciardi, New York Mets