ASA Advisory Committee on Climate Change Policy (ACCCP)
In cooperation with the Director of
Science Policy, advise Congress on climate change issues, with special emphasis
on the roles of statistics and statisticians in advancing science and informing
- Climate Science Day on Capitol Hill, February 27, 2013: Photo of Richard Smith with Senator Hagan (NC); Robert Lund with his CSD team; AAAS story on CSD13; Climate Science Day Successful, Educational.
- 2013 AAAS annual conference presentations:
- JSM 2012 presentations by committee members:
- Climate Science Day on Capitol Hill, February 1, 2012: "Statisticians Participate in 2nd Annual Climate Science Day"; Photo of Peter Guttorp with Congressman Jim McDermott (WA);
- JSM 2011 Invited Session: "Addressing the Evidence for Anthropogenic Climate Change"
- Mark Berliner, Ohio State University, slides
- John R. Christy, University of Alabama at Huntsville, slides
- Ross McKitrick, University of Guelph, slides
- Richard L. Smith, The University of North Carolina, slides
- Climate Science Day on Capitol Hill, February 17, 2011: "Statisticians Participate in Climate Science Day on Capitol Hill"
- May 11, 2010 Climate Science briefing, "Climate Science: Key Questions and Answers", with ASA fellow, Richard L Smith
group has been meeting with congressional staffers to discuss the
contribution statistics can make and to learn more of their needs and
developing materials for the staff.
- Review of Health Impacts of
- Committee members publish a piece in March 2010 AMSTAT News: "Statisticians Comment on Status of Climate Change Science". On March 31, the authors also participated in an online q&a on the article: http://magazine.amstat.org/2010/03/climatemar10/2/#transcript.
group helped review the October 21, 2009 joint
science organization letter on climate change science and provided
advice to ASA President Sally C Morton on signing it.
- Review of the paper, "On Modeling and Interpreting the Economics of Catastrophic
Climate Change", by Martin L. Weitzman
- Produced short documents for its visits to the Hill. StatisticiansHelpingPolicyMakers.pdf, StatisticiansRole.pdf
- Mark Berliner’s documents on this committee’s activities and climate change overview
ASA endorses conclusions of the UN IPCC Fourth Assessment Report on Climate
Change: statement; news release
on climate change science; news
Contact: Steve Pierson, ASA Director of Science Policy, firstname.lastname@example.org; 703.302.1841.