Education > Caucus of Academic Representatives
2013 Montréal, Québec, Canada
Sunday, August 4th: 8:30 to 1pm, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Seventh Annual Workshop for Chairs of Programs in Statistics and Biostatistics
|8:30 to 9:00||Continental breakfast|
|9:00 to 9:15||Welcome - Ensor and introduction of ASA reps (Palmer / Wasserstein)|
|9:15 to 10:15||Panel Discussion on NAS report and recommendations Math-2025;
Panelists include Bin Yu, Jun Liu and Vijay Nair
|10:15 to 10:45||Best practices in hiring; Discussion lead by Jean Opsomer|
|10:45 to 11:15||Breakout sessions on current topics for Statistics Departments*|
|11:15 to noon||Summaries from breakout groups and general discussion|
|noon to 1:30||Networking lunch|
|(Ideally we will pair up "new" chairs with longer term chairs at this lunch)|
*Topics - will choose 3 or possibly 4 if we have a large registration
- Maintaining the undergraduate pipeline to graduate programs; REUs/advising/recruiting
- New degree programs in Data Science - collaboration or competition?
- Increase in professional masters programs across the US
- MOOCS, distance education and blended classes.
- Corporate funding of research - is this an answer?
- Fringe benefits for graduate students (e.g. health insurance, family leave policies)
- Graduate school recommendations and credentials