Section on Nonparametric Statistics
ASA Nonparametric Statistics Section Student Paper Awards
Student Paper Awards Application Announcements
2016 Award Application Announcement, JSM, Chicago, IL.
2015 Award Application Announcement, JSM at Seattle, WA.
2014 Award Application Announcement, JSM at Boston, MA.
2013 Award Application Announcement, JSM at Montreal, Candada.
2012 Award Application Announcement, JSM at San Diego, CA.
2011 Award Application Announcement, JSM at Miami Beach, FL.
Student Paper Award Winners
Each winner receives a certificate and the cash award at JSM.
2015 Student Paper Award Winners
- Yakuan Chen, Columbia University, "Variable selection in functional-on-scalar regression"
- Naveen Naidu Narisetty, University of Michigan, "Extreme notion of depth for functional data"
- Ashley Petersen, University of Washington, "Fused LASSO additive model"
- Molly Davies, UC-Berkeley, "A new approach to variance estimation for time-ordered dependent data".
- Erin Austin, University of Minnesota, "A New Semiparametric Approach to Finite Mixture of Regressions using Penalized Regression via Fusion".
- Prabhani Kuruppumullage, Pennsylvania State University, "Model-based block clustering with EM algorithm".
- Lu Mao, University of North Carolina, "Maximum Likelihood Estimation in Semiparametric Transformation Models for the Cumulative Incidence of Competing Risks".
- Rajarshi Mukherje, Harvard University, "Hypothesis testing for sparse binary regression".
- Simeng Qu, Purdue University, "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Functional Linear Regression Models".
2013 Student Paper Award Winners
- Karl Gregory, Texas A & M. "A Two-Sample Test For Equality of Means in High Dimension".
- Yeonwoo Rho, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, "Inference for Locally Stationary Time Series Regression Models".
- Srinath Sampath, Ohio State University, "How Stable Are Top Choices Over Time? An Investigation Into Preferences Among Popular Baby Names In The United States".
2012 Student Paper Award Winners
- Seonjin Kim, Penn State University, "Quantile Regression for Time-Varying Coefficient Longitudinal Model".
- Chen-Yen Lin, NC State University, "Variable Selection for Nonparametric Quantile Regression via Smoothing Spline ANOVA".
- Xianyang Zhang, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, "Two-Sample Inference for Temporally Dependent Functional Data".
2011 Student Paper Award Winners
- Raymond K. W. Wong, University of California at Davis, "Robust Estimation of Generalized Additive Models".
- Gongjun Xu, Columbia University, "A General Framework for Sequential and Adaptive Methods in Survival Studies".
- Qing Wang, Penn State University, "Topics in U-statistics and Risk Estimation".
2010 Student Paper Award Winners
- Yeojin Chung, Penn State University.
- Kai Ding, University of North Carolina.
- Subhadeep Mukhopadhyay, Texas A&M University.
Journal of Nonparametric Statistics (JNPS) Paper Awards
2014 JNPS Best Paper Award winners
- Camila P.E. de Souza, supervised by Nancy E. Heckman, "Switching nonparametric regression models," published in Volume 26, Issue 4, 2014.
2013 JNPS Best Paper Award winners
- Huan Wang, supervised by Mary C. Meyer and Jean D. Opsomer, "Constrained spline regression in the presence of AP(p) errors", published in volume 24.4, 2012, 1019-1039.
2012 JNPS Best Paper Award winners
- Paola Gloria Ferrario, supervised by Harro Walk, "Nonparametric partitioning estimation of residual and local variance based on first and second nearest neighbours", published in volume 25.4, 2013, 809-827.
2011 JNPS Best Paper Award winners
- Melanie Birke, Holger Dette, and Kristin Stahljans, "Testing symmetry of a nonparametric bivariate regression function", published in volume 23.2, 2011, 547-565.
- Taeryon Choi, Jian Q. Shi, and Bo Wang, "A Gaussian process regression approach to a single-index model", published in volume 23.1, 2011, 21-36.
2011 JNPS Best Student Paper Award winner
- Samis Trevezas and Nikolaos Limnios, "Exact MLE and asymptotic properties for nonparametric semi-Markov Models", published in volume 23.3, 2011, 719-739.
2010 JNPS Best Paper Award
- Raymond J. Carroll, Xiaohong Chen and Yingyao Hu, "Identification and inference in nonlinear models using two samples with nonclassical measurement errors".