|Survey Research Methods Section
The journal Survey Methodology has established an annual invited paper series in honor of Joseph Waksberg to recognize his contributions to survey methodology. Each year a prominent survey statistician is chosen to write a paper that reviews the development and current state of an important topic in the field of survey methodology. The paper reflects the mixture of theory and practice that characterized Joe Waksberg's work.
The recipient of the Waksberg Award receives an honorarium and gives the Waksberg Invited Address at the annual Statistics Canada Symposium. The paper is published in a future issue of Survey Methodology.
Waksberg Award honorees are:
- 2014 Constance F. Citro, "From Multiple Modes for Surveys to Multiple Data Sources for Estimates" Survey Methodology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 137-161.
- 2013 Ken Brewer, "Three Controversies in the History of Survey Sampling" Survey Methodology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 249-262.
- 2012 Lars Lyberg, "Survey Quality" Survey Methodology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 107-130.
- 2011 Danny Pfeffermann, "Modeling of Complex Survey Data: Why model? Why is it a problem? How can we approach it?" Survey Methodology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 115-136.
- 2010 Ivan Fellegi, "The organization of statistical methodology and methodological research in national statistical offices." Survey Methodology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 123-130.
- 2009 Graham Kalton, "Methods for Oversampling Rare Subpopulations in Social Surveys." Survey Methodology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 125-141.
- 2008 Mary Thompson, "International surveys: Motives and Methodologies." Survey Methodology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 131-141.
- 2007 Carl-Erik Särndal, "The Calibration Approach in Survey Theory and Practice." Survey Methodology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 99-119.
- 2006 Alastair Scott, "Population-Based Case Control Studies." Survey Methodology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 123-132.
- 2005 J.N.K. Rao, "Interplay Between Sample Survey Theory and Practice: An Appraisal." Survey Methodology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 117-138.
- 2004 Norman Bradburn, "Understanding the Question-Answer Process." Survey Methodology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 5-15.
- 2003 David Holt, "Methodological Issues in the Development and Use of Statistical Indicators for International Comparisons." Survey Methodology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 5-17.
- 2002 Wayne Fuller, "Regression Estimation for Survey Samples." Survey Methodology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 5-23.
- 2001 Gad Nathan, "Telesurvey Methodologies for Household Surveys-A Review and Some Thoughts for the Future." Survey Methodology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp.7-31.
SRMS Student Travel Awards
SRMS awards up to $800 to approximately six awardees to cover expenses related to conference and continuing education course attendance.
- 2016 Award Winners
- Ying Han, University of Maryland
- Domonique W. Hodge, Emory University
- Dongah Kim, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Katherine R. (Katie) McLaughlin, University of California, Los Angeles
- Lingxiao Wang, University of Maryland
- Mingyang (Mia) Wang, University of Nebraska
- Zhonglei Wang, Iowa State University
- 2015 Award Winners
- Sharr Barracks, Columbia University
- Isabelle Beaudry, University of Massachusetts
- Addison James, Oregon State University
- Sepideh Mosaferi, University of Maryland, JPSM
- Yahia El-Horbaty, University of Southampton
- Finbarr Leacy, Cambridge University
- Xin Wang, Iowa State University
- Hui Yang, Ohio State University
- 2014 Award Winners
- Andreea Erciulescu, Iowa State University
- Raphael Nishimura, University of Michigan
- Elizabeth Petraglia, The Ohio State University
- Tracy Schifeling, Duke University
- Matthias Speidel, Institute for Employment Research (IAB)
- 2013 Award Winners
- Danielle Sullivan, The Ohio State University
- Siyu Qing, The George Washington University
- 2012 Award Winners
- Sixia Chen, Iowa State University
- Carolina Franco, University of Maryland at College Park
- Daoying (Helen) Lin, University of Texas at Arlington
- Dong Lin, Southern Methodist University
- Hanzhi Zhou, University of Michigan
- 2011 Award Winners
- David Dail, Oregon State University
- Soeun Kim, University of California, Los Angeles
- Sahar Zangeneh, University of Michigan
- Yang Li, Iowa State University
- 2010 Award Winners
- Anne-Sophie Charest, Carnegie Mellon University
- Shin-Jung Lee, University of Michigan
- Daniel Yang, Oregon State University
- 2009 Award Winners
- Burcu Eke, School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, Arizona State University
- Brady West, the Program in Survey Methodology, University of Michigan
- 2008 Award Winners
- Cherie Alf, Iowa State University
- Rebecca Andridge, University of Michigan
- Stephanie Eckman, University of Maryland
- Xiaobi Huang, University of Michigan
- Matt Jans, University of Michigan
- Olena Kaminska, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Vicky Landsman, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Minhui Paik, Iowa State University
E. C. Bryant Scholarship Award
- 2014 Winner
Shu Yang, Iowa State University
- 2013 Winner
Natalie Exner, Harvard University
- 2012 Winner
Mark Dahlke, Colorado State University
- 2011 Winner
Anne-Sophie Charest, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2010 Winner
Brady T. West, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- 2009 Winner
Qixuan Chen, Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan
SRMS JSM Poster Awards
The SRMS offers a total of $1,500 in prize money to the best poster presentation sponsored or co-sponsored by SRMS at JSM.
- 2015 Poster Award Winners
- George Couzens (RTI International) "Income interpolation from categories using a percentile constrained inverse-CDF approach"
- Yinan Fang (Iowa State University) "Semiparametric Estimation for Generalized Linear Models with Missing Covariates"
- Heather Kitada (Oregon State University) "Adjusting for effects of survey model difference across a longitudinal mixed-mode study"
- Sahar Zangeneh (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center) "Partially Missing at Random and Ignorable Inferences for Parameter Subsets with Missing Data"
- Vladislav Beresovsky (National Center for Health Statistics) "Sensitivity Analysis of Bias of Estimates from Web Surveys with Nonrandomized Panel Selection"
- 2014 Poster Award Winners
- Vladislav Beresovsky (National Center for Health Statistics) "Protecting Survey Design Information in Public Use Files by Constructing Combined Strata Accounting for the Realized Sample Selection"
- Ivan Carrillo-Garcia (RTI International) "Impact of Changing the Number of Interview Waves in the NCVS"
- Justin J McIllece (Bureau of Labor Statistics) "A Simplified Approach to Administrative Record Linkage in the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages"
- Edward Mulrow (NORC) "Ordered Sample Scatterplots for Displaying Survey Data"
- 2013 Poster Award Winners
- Brianna Bright and Julia Soulakova (University of Nebraska-Lincoln) "On Simultaneous Interval Estimating the Relative Prevalence of Forward Shifting in Reported Regular Smoking Initiation Age"
- Marie-Eve Tremblay and Robert Courtemanche (Institut de la statistique du Québec) "Weighting Strategy in the Quebec Survey on the Experience of Health Care"
- Rey de Castro, Yang Xia, Connie Sosnoff, and Lee-Yang Wong (CDC National Center for Environmental Health) "Bootstrap Estimation of Variance from ROC Curve Analysis of Complex NHANES Survey Data"
- Thomas Lumley (University of Auckland) "Analysis of Large Survey Data Sets Using Dynamically Generated SQL"
- Kathryn Aloisio, Nicholas J. Horton, Sonja Swanson, Alison E. Field, and Nadia Micali (Smith College, Boston Children's Hospital, and UCL Institute of Child Health) "Efficient Estimation of Partially Observed Clustered Data Using Multiple Imputation"
- 2012 Poster Award Winners
- Kelly Dixon, Mike Kwanisai and Al Tupek (Arbitron) "Assessing Coverage and Accuracy of an address-Based Frame for Subgroups of the Population"
- Machell Town, Carol Pierannunzi, Ashley Hyon and William Garvin (CDC and MSG) "Refining Celluar Phone Samples Using Switch Centers in a Multiregaional Survey"
- Kanru Xia and Whitney Murphy (NORC)"Cell Phone Coverage in the REACH U.S."
- 2011 Poster Award Winners
- Rebecca Andridge (The Ohio State University ) "Decomposing the Fraction of Missing Information Into Auxiliary Variable Contributions for Monitoring Survey Data"
- David P. Lindstrom and Megan Klein Hattori (Brown University) "The Nonverbal Response Card Method for Soliciting Responses to Sensitive Questions"
- Burton Levine, Christine Davies and Bonnie Shook-Sa (RTI International) "Estimating the Bias Resulting from the Exclusion of Cell Phone-Only Respondents"
- 2010 Poster Award Winners
First Place Winners
- Dhuly Chowdhury, Karol Krotki and Lauren Courtney (RTI International) "Effective Sampling Methodology for Program Evaluation in Developing Countries"
- Sahar Zangeneh and Roderick Little (University of Michigan) "Spline Models for the Population Total from PPS Samples: the Precision Gain from Knowing the Sizes of Nonsampled Units"
- Jennifer Parker (National Center for Health Statistics), Lester R. Curtin (CDC) and Van Parsons (National Center for Health Statistics) "A Simulation to Evaluate the Impact of Design on Model-Based Methods for NHANES Data Linked with Environmental Exposures"
- 2009 Poster Award Winners
First Place Winners
- Edward Mulrow, Susan Hinkins and Fritz Scheuren (NORC at the University of Chicago) "Visualization of Complex Survey Data"
- Jeffrey Gonzalez and John L. Eltinge (Bureau of Labor Statistics) "Imputation Methods for Adaptive Matrix Sampling"
- Tian Zheng and Tyler H. McCormick (Columbia University) "Latent Structure Models for Social Networks Using Aggregated Relational Data"
- 2008 Poster Award Winners
First Place Winners (tie)
- Van Parsons (National Center for Health Statistics) and Nathaniel Schenker (National Center for Health Statistics)
"State and County Small-Area Estimation Using the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) and Behavioral Risk Factors Surveillance System (BRFSS)"
- William P. Mockovak (Bureau of Labor Statistics) and Randall Powers (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
"The Use of Paradata for Evaluating Interviewer Training and Performance "
- Bethany A. Bell-Ellison (University of South Florida), John M. Ferron (University of South Florida), and Jeffrey D. Kromrey (University of South Florida)
"Cluster Size in Multilevel Models: The Impact of Sparse Data Structures on Point and Interval Estimates in Two-Level Models"
- Helbatollah Beghi (George Mason University), Teresa Panniers(George Mason University), and Mary Smolenski (American Nurses Credentialing Center)
"State and County Smnall-Area Estimation Using the National Health inte "Application of Confirmatory Factor Analysis To Establish the Validity of a Pratice-Analyis Survey"
- Danna L. Moore (Washington State University)
"Bid Design and Its Influence on Stated Willingness To Pay and Participation in a Deposit Refund Program in a Survey of Nonrefillable Plastic Pesticide Users"
2016 Student Paper Competition Winners
Washington Statistical Soceity Awards
- Raphael André Fraser (Medical College of Wisconsin) "Approximate Median Regression for Complex Survey Data With Skewed Response."
- Katherine R. McLaughlin (University of California, Los Angeles) "Modeling Preferential Recruitment for Respondent-Driven Sampling."
- Xu Qin (University of Chicago) "Analyzing Heterogeneous Causal Mediation Effects in Multi-Site Trials With Application to the National Job Corps Study."
- Joshua Snoke (Penn State University) "General and Specific Utility Measures for Synthetic Data."
- Jessica Wengrzik (Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences) "Motivated Underreporting and Response Propensity Do Persons Likely to Respond Give Better Answers to Filter and Eligibility Questions?"
Morris Hansen Lectures