The Business and Economic Statistics Section
- Officers were recently elected for 2014: Chair-elect: Bruce Meyer, The University of Chicago; Program Chair-elect: Beth Andrews, Northwestern University,
Publications Officer: Cindy Yu, Iowa State University, Council of Sections Representative: John Abowd, Cornell University
- Thomas Lemieux to Speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon:
The Business and Economic Statistics section of the American Statistical Association is very pleased to announce that Dr. Thomas Lemieux will speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon at the Joint Statistical Meetings in Montreal on Tuesday, August 6, 2013.
Edward Leamer is Professor of Economics at the Vancouver School of Economics at the University of British Columbia.
His talk will look at the surprisingly different labor market performance of the United States, Canada, and Germany
in the wake of the great recession of 2008--2009. Unlike real GDP, which dropped and recovered in a similar fashion in all
three countries, the unemployment rate followed a very different path. It barely increased and quickly dropped in Germany,
increased and remained at stubbornly high levels in the United States, and moderately increased in Canada.
The talk will explore a variety of possible explanations for this puzzle.
(The Economic Outlook Luncheon is a fee event. Please look for and select it on your JSM registration form.)
- To view more B & E section activies at JSM 2013, access the
Online Program and select the Business and Economic Statistics section in the dropdown menu.
ZELLNER THESIS AWARD
The sponsors for the 2013 Zellner award are the Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association
under the auspices of the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and
SAS Institute, Inc.
The officers of the Business and Economic Statistics Section and the editors of the Journal of Business &
Economic Statistics wish to thank the SAS Institute for their generous support of the 2013 prize.
- More information on the 2013 Zellner Thesis Award in Business and Economic
Statistics is available on this web site, including links to the 2012 award winning theses
The deadline for submissions is March 31, 2013.
- The Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association
is pleased to announce that the recipient of the 2012 Zellner Thesis Award is Alex Torgovitsky
(currently at Northwestern University), for the Yale University thesis "Essays in Econometric Theory."
The award includes a $1500 prize, generously provided by SAS Institute.
- Zhipeng Liao (currently at the University of California, Los Angeles) was awarded Honorable Mention for the
Yale University thesis "Shrinkage Methods for Automated Econometric Model Determination."
- A press release is available on the ASA website.
- Dr. Arnold Zellner, a pioneer in econometrics, past Chair of the Business and Economic Statistics Section,
past President of the American Statistical Association, and founding editor of the
Journal of Business and Economics Statistics, passed away on August 10, 2010.
Some tribute pages on the web marking the life and career of Dr. Arnold Zellner:
JULIUS SHISKIN AWARD
- John C. Haltiwanger, Distinguished University Professor of Economics at the University of Maryland, and
Maurine Haver, President and founder of Haver Analytics Inc.,
have been selected to receive the 2013 Julius Shiskin Memorial Award for Economic Statistics.
The award recognizes unusually original and important contributions in the development of economic statistics or in the use of statistics in interpreting the economy.
Both Professor Haltiwanger and Ms. Haver are recognized for initiatives to educate users and producers of key federal economic statistics.
- For more details, access the press release
on this website.
- This award is jointly sponsored by the National Association for Business Economics,
The Washington Statistical Society and the Business and Economics Section of the
American Statistical Association.
- Nominations are invited for the 2014 Julius Shiskin Award for Economic Statistics;
nomination forms are available on this website.
The deadline for nominations is March 15, 2014.
- More information on the Shiskin Award is available on this web site.
- The Joint Program in Survey Methodology has several short courses on topics in survey methodology and economic statistics
that are open for registration. Access the JPSM website at http://www.jpsm.umd.edu
and select "JPSM Short Courses" on the top menu bar for online registration and course information.