The Business and Economic Statistics Section
- The following officers were elected for 2015: Program Chair-elect: Robert A. Cage, Bureau of Labor Statistics,
Secretary/Treasurer: David Scott Matteson, Cornell University
- Seth Stephens-Davidowitz to Speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon:
The Business and Economic Statistics section of the American Statistical Association is very pleased to announce that
Seth Stephens-Davidowitz will be our economic outlook lunch speaker at 12:30 on Tuesday August 11.
Seth is a former google data scientist and current NY times op-ed contributor.
This is a fee event so please register for the lunch.
- To view more B & E section activies at JSM 2015, access the
and select the Business and Economic Statistics section in the dropdown menu.
ZELLNER THESIS AWARD
The sponsors for the 2014 Zellner award are the Business and Economic Statistics Section of the
American Statistical Association under the auspices of the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and
SAS Institute, Inc. The officers of the Business and Economic Statistics Section and
the editors of the Journal of Business & Economic Statistics wish to thank the SAS Institute for their
generous support of the 2014 prize.
- More information on the 2015 Zellner Thesis Award in Business and Economic
Statistics is available on this web site.
The deadline for submissions is May 17, 2015.
- The Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association and sponsor SAS
are proud to announce that the winner of the 2014 Zellner Thesis Award is Joachim Freyberger,
for the Northwestern University thesis
"Essays on Models with Endogeneity." The award includes a $1500 prize, generously provided by SAS Institute.
- Honorable mentions were awarded to: Brendan Kline, for the Northwestern University thesis
"Essays on the Econometrics of Games", SeoJeong Lee, for the University of Wisconsin--Madison thesis
"Misspecification-Robust Bootstrap for Moment Condition Models", and
Minjing Tao, for the University of Wisconsin--Madison thesis
"Large Volatility Matrix Inference Based on High-frequency Financial Data".
- Dr. Arnold Zellner, a pioneer in econometrics, past Chair of the Business and Economic Statistics Section,
past President of the American Statistical Association, and founding editor of the
Journal of Business and Economics Statistics,
passed away on August 10, 2010.
Some tribute pages on the web marking the life and career of Dr. Arnold Zellner:
JULIUS SHISKIN AWARD
- Brent Moulton, Associate Director for National Economic Accounts of the
Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), has been selected to receive the 2015 Julius Shiskin Memorial Award
for Economic Statistics. Dr. Moulton is recognized for his leadership in
implementing major innovations into the U.S. national accounts, international standards for national
accounts, and expanded integration of U.S. statistical programs.
He is also recognized for his work at the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
in developing innovations that improved the reliability of the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
- For more details, access the press release (PDF)
on this website.
- This award is jointly sponsored by the National Association for Business Economics,
The Washington Statistical Society and the Business and Economics Section of the
American Statistical Association.
- More information on the Shiskin Award is available on this web site.
- The Joint Program in Survey Methodology has several short courses on topics in survey methodology
and economic statistics that are open for registration. Access the JPSM website at
and select "JPSM Short Courses" on the top menu bar for online registration and course information.