The Business and Economic Statistics Section
- Officers were elected for 2014: Chair-elect: Bruce Meyer, The University of Chicago; Program Chair-elect: Beth Andrews, Northwestern University,
Publications Officer: Cindy Yu, Iowa State University, Council of Sections Representative: John Abowd, Cornell University
- Bart van Ark to Speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon:
The Business and Economic Statistics section of the American Statistical Association is very pleased to announce that
Dr. Bart van Ark will speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon at the Joint Statistical Meetings in Boston on Tuesday, August 5, 2014.
His talk is titled "The Global Economy: Lenses on the Past, Present, and Future", and an abstract is available
in the online program.
The analysis and prospects to be discussed by Dr. van Ark will be based on global statistics covering 99 percent of the world's population — a fitting topic for JSM 2014.
Dr. van Ark will provide a historical review of how the global economy arrived at where it is now as well as perspectives for global economic growth for the next 10 years
using macro growth scenarios in which the key drivers of growth (employment, investment, and technology) are being varied.
Dr. van Ark has been extensively published in national and international economic journals and
is widely recognized for his contributions to productivity analysis and international comparisons.
Don't miss out on this opportunity to hear this internationally recognized expert's views on the global economy.
(The Economic Outlook Luncheon is a fee event. Please look for and select it on your JSM registration form.)
- B&E Section Business Meeting (Tuesday August 5th from 5:00-6:30, CC-157A) -
Come participate in discussion of section issues at the business meeting.
There will be an informal reception for all B&E member that will be held from 6:45-8:15 PM at a nearby restaurant (this event is not listed in the online program).
Details will be issued via email and at the meeting.
- Two recipients of recent B&E-sponsored awards will be honored at the ASA Awards Ceremony Sunday evening.
Don't miss the opportunity to congratulate winners Xin Tong (2013 Zellner Prize) and
Julia Lane (2014 Shiskin Award).
- To view more B & E section activies at JSM 2014, access the
and select the Business and Economic Statistics section in the dropdown menu.
ZELLNER THESIS AWARD
The sponsors for the 2014 Zellner award are the Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association
under the auspices of the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and
SAS Institute, Inc.
The officers of the Business and Economic Statistics Section and the editors of the Journal of Business &
Economic Statistics wish to thank the SAS Institute for their generous support of the 2014 prize.
- More information on the 2014 Zellner Thesis Award in Business and Economic
Statistics is available on this web site, including links to the 2013 award winning theses
The deadline for submissions is May 17, 2014.
- The Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association and sponsor SAS
are proud to announce that the winner of the 2014 Zellner Thesis Award is Joachim Freyberger,
for the Northwestern University thesis
"Essays on Models with Endogeneity."
The award includes a $1500 prize, generously provided by SAS Institute.
- RHonorable mentions were awarded to: Brendan Kline, for the Northwestern University thesis
"Essays on the Econometrics of Games",
SeoJeong Lee, for the University of Wisconsin--Madison thesis
"Misspecification-Robust Bootstrap for Moment Condition Models", and
Minjing Tao, for the University of Wisconsin--Madison thesis
"Large Volatility Matrix Inference Based on High-frequency Financial Data".
- Dr. Arnold Zellner, a pioneer in econometrics, past Chair of the Business and Economic Statistics Section,
past President of the American Statistical Association, and founding editor of the
Journal of Business and Economics Statistics, passed away on August 10, 2010.
Some tribute pages on the web marking the life and career of Dr. Arnold Zellner:
JULIUS SHISKIN AWARD
- Julia Ingrid Lane, Senior Managing Economist and Institute Fellow at the American Institutes for Research,
has been selected to receive the 2014 Julius Shiskin Memorial Award for Economic Statistics.
The award recognizes unusually original and important contributions in the development of economic statistics
or in the use of statistics in interpreting the economy.
Dr. Lane is recognized for her contributions to the development of a new Census Bureau program
that has significantly advanced research on employment dynamics.
She initiated what is now known as the Longitudinal Employer Household Dynamics (LEHD) program,
the first large-scale linked employer-employee dataset in the United States.
For more details, access the press release (PDF) on this website.
- This award is jointly sponsored by the National Association for Business Economics,
The Washington Statistical Society and the Business and Economics Section of the
American Statistical Association.
- More information on the Shiskin Award is available on this web site.
- The Joint Program in Survey Methodology has several short courses on topics in survey methodology and economic statistics
that are open for registration. Access the JPSM website at http://www.jpsm.umd.edu
and select "JPSM Short Courses" on the top menu bar for online registration and course information.