The Business and Economic Statistics Section
- Officers were recently elected for 2014: Chair-elect: Bruce Meyer, The University of Chicago; Program Chair-elect: Beth Andrews, Northwestern University,
Publications Officer: Cindy Yu, Iowa State University, Council of Sections Representative: John Abowd, Cornell University
- Bart van Ark to Speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon:
The Business and Economic Statistics section of the American Statistical Association is very pleased to announce that
Dr. Bart van Ark will speak at the Economic Outlook Luncheon at the Joint Statistical Meetings in Boston on Tuesday, August 5, 2014.
His talk is titled "The Global Economy: Lenses on the Past, Present, and Future", and an abstract is available
in the online program.
The analysis and prospects to be discussed by Dr. van Ark will be based on global statistics covering 99 percent of the world's population — a fitting topic for JSM 2014.
Dr. van Ark will provide a historical review of how the global economy arrived at where it is now as well as perspectives for global economic growth for the next 10 years
using macro growth scenarios in which the key drivers of growth (employment, investment, and technology) are being varied.
Dr. van Ark has been extensively published in national and international economic journals and
is widely recognized for his contributions to productivity analysis and international comparisons.
Don't miss out on this opportunity to hear this internationally recognized expert's views on the global economy.
(The Economic Outlook Luncheon is a fee event. Please look for and select it on your JSM registration form.)
- To view more B & E section activies at JSM 2014, access the
and select the Business and Economic Statistics section in the dropdown menu.
ZELLNER THESIS AWARD
The sponsors for the 2014 Zellner award are the Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association
under the auspices of the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and
SAS Institute, Inc.
The officers of the Business and Economic Statistics Section and the editors of the Journal of Business &
Economic Statistics wish to thank the SAS Institute for their generous support of the 2014 prize.
- More information on the 2014 Zellner Thesis Award in Business and Economic
Statistics is available on this web site, including links to the 2013 award winning theses
The deadline for submissions is May 17, 2014.
- The Business and Economic Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association and SAS Institute
are pleased to announce that the recipient of the 2013 Zellner Thesis Award is Xin Tong, for the Princeton University thesis,
"Learning with Asymmetry, High Dimension and Social Networks"
The award includes a $1500 prize, generously provided by SAS Institute.
- Rob Hall (currently at the University of California, Los Angeles) was awarded Honorable Mention for the Carnegie Mellon University thesis,
"New Statistical Applications for Differential Privacy".
- A press release is available on the ASA website.
- Dr. Arnold Zellner, a pioneer in econometrics, past Chair of the Business and Economic Statistics Section,
past President of the American Statistical Association, and founding editor of the
Journal of Business and Economics Statistics, passed away on August 10, 2010.
Some tribute pages on the web marking the life and career of Dr. Arnold Zellner:
JULIUS SHISKIN AWARD
- John C. Haltiwanger, Distinguished University Professor of Economics at the University of Maryland, and
Maurine Haver, President and founder of Haver Analytics Inc.,
have been selected to receive the 2013 Julius Shiskin Memorial Award for Economic Statistics.
The award recognizes unusually original and important contributions in the development of economic statistics or in the use of statistics in interpreting the economy.
Both Professor Haltiwanger and Ms. Haver are recognized for initiatives to educate users and producers of key federal economic statistics.
- For more details, access the press release
on this website.
- This award is jointly sponsored by the National Association for Business Economics,
The Washington Statistical Society and the Business and Economics Section of the
American Statistical Association.
- Nominations are invited for the 2014 Julius Shiskin Award for Economic Statistics;
nomination forms are available on this website.
The deadline for nominations is March 15, 2014.
- More information on the Shiskin Award is available on this web site.
- The Joint Program in Survey Methodology has several short courses on topics in survey methodology and economic statistics
that are open for registration. Access the JPSM website at http://www.jpsm.umd.edu
and select "JPSM Short Courses" on the top menu bar for online registration and course information.