United States Conference on Teaching Statistics (USCOTS), May 19-21, 2005
USCOTS Program Chair
Newsletter for the Section on Statistical Education
Volume 10, Number 2 (Fall 2004)
The first United States Conference on Teaching Statistics (USCOTS) will be held on May 19-21, 2005, at the Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, hosted by CAUSE, the Consortium for the Advancement of Undergraduate Statistics Education.
Goals of USCOTS
- Hold a national conference that focuses on undergraduate level statistics education (including AP Statistics), targeting statistics teachers.
- Share ideas, methods, and research results regarding what teachers want to know about teaching statistics: What should I teach? How do I teach it? Where do I get good resources? And, what research can I rely on to assess whether what I'm doing is effective and appropriate?
- Facilitate teachers incorporating new ideas, methods, and resources into their existing courses and programs.
- Promote connections between all teachers of undergraduate level statistics throughout the country.
Special Features of USCOTS
- Plenary Sessions on Curriculum, Pedagogy, Resources, and Research by National Leaders in Undergraduate and AP Statistics Education:
- Spotlight Sessions exchanging your ideas on teaching and learning statistics
- Hands-on breakout sessions to incorporate new ideas into your courses
- Opportunities to meet other statistics teachers from a wide range of institutions and disciplines
- A Statistics Teaching Resource Packet to take with you
- A fun, active atmosphere where everyone can be involved!
USCOTS Program Committee:
Deb Rumsey (Chair); Jackie Miller (Co-chair); Richard Alldredge; Bob delMas; Mark Earley; Peter Flanagan-Hyde; Christine Franklin; Joan Garfield; Rob Gould; Bill Harkness; Brad Hartlaub; Sterling Hilton; John Holcomb; Bob Johnson; Carl Lee; Robin Lock; Marsha Lovett; Mary Parker; Dennis Pearl; Jeff Witmer
To Register for USCOTS, go to the USCOTS website: http://www.causeweb.org/uscots/
Return to V10 N2 Contents
Return to Newsletter Home Page