From the JSM Program Chair
Allan Rossman, Cal Poly
Newsletter for the Section on Statistical Education
Volume 12, Number 1 (Spring 2007)
In addition to the terrific sessions organized under Patti Collings' leadership and roundtables put together by Jackie Miller (described above), the 2007 JSM also features many other sessions that may interest Stat Ed members. A few of these include:
- Memorial Session for Frederick Mosteller (Monday at 10:30)
Professor Mosteller, who passed away last July, had a tremendous influence on statistics education as well as public policy and many other areas.
- Influencing State-by-State Curriculum Standards in Statistics for K-12 Education (Tuesday at 10:30)
Jerry Moreno has organized this panel session for the ASA-NCTM Joint Committee, featuring participants with experience writing curriculum guidelines for NCTM, College Board, and ASA.
- Conflict of Interest Concerns in Medical Statistics (Wednesday at 8:30)
Dr. Peter Imrey of the Cleveland Clinic has organized this panel discussion, which will consider (among other issues) the recent JAMA policy that requires academic replication of primary statistical results from industry studies.
- War and Death in Iraq (Wednesday at 2:00)
Professor Les Roberts of Johns Hopkins, co-author of the recent (and controversial) study published in Lancet, will be the primary speaker. Patrick Ball and Jana Asher will be among the discussants.
The popular series of sessions known as Introductory Overview Lectures (IOLs) should also interest many Stat Ed members. These sessions are:
- Adaptive Designs and Other Emerging Issues in Clinical Trials (Sunday at 4:00)
- Statistical Machine Learning and its Applications in Bioinformatics (Monday at 8:30)
- Improving Statistical Presentations and Posters (Tuesday at 8:30)
- How Scientists Can Work Effectively with the Media (Wednesday at 8:30)
Please examine the online program (http://www.amstat.org/meetings/jsm/2007/OnlineProgram) closely to plan your schedule for Salt Lake City.
Return to V12 N1 Contents
Return to Newsletter Home Page