Welcome to SIGMEDD
SIGMEDD is an interest group of the American Statistical Association. This group is composed of statisticians who are interested in applying and developing statistical methods for evaluating medical and diagnostic devices. More about SIGMEDD
We need your support!
If interested, please sign the petition to transfer SIGMEDD from an interest group to a section.
You'll need to have your ASA ID ready. If you have signed a paper version of this petition in the past, we'd appreciate it if you would sign here as well. Thanks!
Topic Contributed Sessions at JSM 2013 Organized by SIGMEDD
SIGMEDD members will presented 24 papers on statistical issues related to theraputic and diagnostic medical device study in 5 topic contributed sessions.
25 - Statistical Issues in Assessing Performance of Diagnostic Devices
Sponsored by Section on Statistics in Epidemiology, Biopharmaceutical Section, ASA Special Interest Group for Medical Devices and Diagnostics
473 - Practice of Quantitative Decision Analysis in Regulatory Science for Medical Devices
Sponsored by Section on Bayesian Statistical Science, International Society for Bayesian Analysis (ISBA)
518 - Blinding and Placebo Effects in Randomized Clinical Trials
Sponsored by Biopharmaceutical Section, ASA Special Interest Group for Medical Devices and Diagnostics, Mental Health Statistics Section, Biometrics Section, Section for Statistical Programmers and Analysts
634 - Challenges and advances in evaluation of clinical trials
Sponsored by Biopharmaceutical Section, ASA Special Interest Group for Medical Devices and Diagnostics, Mental Health Statistics Section, Biometrics Section
673 - Challenging Statistical Issues in Medical Device Trials
Sponsored by Biopharmaceutical Section, ASA Special Interest Group for Medical Devices and Diagnostics
SIGMEDD Annual Meeting 2012 (7/30/2012, San Diego, California)
SIGMEDD held its latest annual business meeting on July 30, 2012, at JSM in San Diego, California. The meeting, chaired by SIGMEDD chair Greg Campbell, was attended by approximately 50 members. The membership voted overwhelmingly to take steps to move from an Interest Group to an ASA Section - Section on Medical Devices and Diagnostics (MDD) of the American Statistical Association.
- ASA requires a minimum of 100 signatures from its members to form a new section. More than 60 signatures have been collected at the JSM (during SIGMEDD's annual business meeting). We ask for your support in signing the petition.
Click here to download a petition form. Any ASA members are eligible and welcome to sign.
- The current SIGMEDD charter will need to be amended to meet the requirements of a section charter. Greg will form a committee to make the necessary revisions, with the goal of finishing by the end of the year.
- Members voted to approve the dues for the Section of Medical Devices and Diagnostics (MDD) to be $10, same as the Biopharmaceutical Section.
- Nominations are needed for next year's SIGMEDD officers. The offices that would need to be filled this year are Chair-Elect (Chair in 2014), Program Chair-Elect (Program Chair in 2014), and Correspondence Secretary. The slate of officers for the new Section of Medical Devices and Diagnostics (SMDD) would be SIGMEDD officers holding office in 2013-2014. For this purpose, two additional officers, a treasurer and an elected representative to the Council of Sections will be elected in this election.
- A four-member nomination committee, Peter Lam (Chair), Aaron Lobbestael, Greg Maislin, and Shanti Gomatam, has been formed to handle the officer election. Please consider nominating a person (including yourself) for each post. Please e-mail your nominations to Peter Lam and copy the other members of the committee.
SIGMEDD Sessions at past JSM
SIGMEDD presented 39 papers in 9 well-attended topic contributed sessions at JSM 2012.
For more details and other past events, see the Past Events page.
August 3 - 8, 2013
Montréal, Québec, Canada
2013 FDA-Industry Statistics Workshop
September 16-18, 2013
Marriott Wardman Park, Washington D.C.
SIGMEDD 2012 Election Results
The SIGMEDD Charter has been approved by all members and is therefore ratified.