The goals of the Section are to foster research in the fields of Data
and Statistical Learning and to aid in the dissemination of new tools
knowledge for these fields.
The principal objectives are to
serve as the Association's focal point for Data Mining and Statistical
- build cooperative relationships on behalf of
the Association with other organizations that have interests in these
- encourage the use of Statistical Learning
methods in Data Mining applications;
- create forums for presentation and discussion
of research in these fields.
The Section will perform functions that serve the goals and objectives
listed. These include, but are not limited to,
sponsorship, including joint sponsorship with other organizations, of
meetings, seminars and courses in the fields of Data Mining and
- planning, in cooperation with the Program
committee of the Association, sessions on Data Mining and Statistical
Learning at the Annual and/or Regional meetings of the Association;
- promotion of non-journal publications on Data
Mining and Statistical Learning;
- service as a resource for public and private
agencies seeking assistance in these fields of interest.