Letters Organized, Signed, and/or Sent
This page also includes ASA amicus briefs and responses to calls for comments. ASA’s procedure for signing/sending letters, responding to calls for comment, and filing amicus briefs is explained in ASA’s guide for determining whether to make a public statement on a policy-related issue.
(non-funding letters appear below under “Policy”)
- ASA thanks Congress for their support for the BLS, NCES, NCHS, and NIH in the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies bill, FY20 5/13/19; FY21 7/13/20, 7/15/21; FY22 Murray 11/4/21, Blunt 11/4/21.
- ASA supports funding for the U.S. Census Bureau: 5/14/20, 6/22/20, 10/23/20, 4/8/21, 11/8/21, 12/2/21.
- ASA supports science research funding (non-NIH)
- ASA supports funding for other federal statistical agencies
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: 5/22/20, 12/9/20.
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics: House Science, Space, & Technology Committee, 6/4/21; House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, 6/7/21.
- ERS and NASS: 4/6/20, 3/19/21, 4/26/21.
- Energy Information Administration: 3/20/20.
- National Center for Education Statistics: 2/25/20, 3/23/20, 5/22/20, 12/9/20, 2/5/21, 3/23/21, 11/16/21.
- National Center for Health Statistics: 3/13/20, 5/22/20, 12/9/20, 3/29/21, FY23 Priorities of Friends of NCHS.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis: 4/7/20, 11/30/20.
- ASA signs letter urging strong allocation for appropriations bill that funds NSF, Census, and two other federal statistical agencies, 3/11/20, 4/19/21.
- ASA signs letter encouraging “Congress to include $3 billion in emergency relief for the National Science Foundation (NSF) while providing relief to all federal science agencies”; 1/27/21.
- ASA organizes letter encouraging Congress to provide the National Center for Education Statistics $5 million in the next COVID-19 emergency relief package to establish and execute a school “pulse survey”; 2/1/21.
For older Funding letters, see Science Policy Archives
- ASA president joins with the leaders of RSS and ISI on a letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis calling for “an end to the now 10-year persecution of Andreas Georgiou and his full exoneration.” 10/7/21.
- ASA provides National Academies Panel statistical perspectives on furthering education research at Department of Education, 10/5/21.
- ASA supports nomination of Adriana Kugler to be US executive director of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 9/23/21.
- ASA signs letter to congress urging they “create additional employment-based visas specifically for international students who earn, or previously earned, advanced STEM degrees in the US;” 9/8/21.
- ASA provides comments to White House Office of Science and Technology Policy with Information To Improve Federal Scientific Integrity Policies, 7/28/21.
- ASA joins letter congratulating Eric Lander on Senate confirmation to be Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, 7/21/21.
- ASA writes Education Secretary Miguel Cardona with requests to ensure more objective, timely and reliable education statistics, 8/5/21.
- ASA organizes letter to US Senate signed by 30+ organizations supporting nomination of 2021 ASA President Robert Santos to be director of the US Census Bureau, 7/14/21.
- ASA joins with 47 other scientific organizations on letter to Congress expressing “the evidence-based urgency of boldly addressing climate change and encourage you to act quickly,” 6/30/21.
- ASA Executive Director writes to Senator Schatz in support of the Census Federal Advisory Committee on Transparency and Standards Act (Census FACTS Act).
- 2022 ASA President Kathy Ensor sends letter to US Senate in strong support of President Biden’s nomination of Robert Santos to be US Census Director, urging his swift confirmation, 4/15/21.
- ASA leadership writes to DOD Director of Basic Research, stating, “more engagement of statisticians in DOD research will result in more robust science,” 3/25/21.
- The ASA supports Health STATISTICS Act, 3/15/21.
- ASA submits amicus brief in Supreme Court case, Wolf v. Innovation Law Lab.
- ASA supports nomination of Eric Lander for director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, 1/29/21.
- ASA submits amicus brief in Supreme Court case, FCC v. Prometheus Radio Project.
- ASA signs letter to Congress in support of federal career civil servants, 12/11/20.
- ASA signs letter to Congress in support of the National AI Initiative, 11/10/20.
For older Policy letters, see Archive