ASA Student Chapters
The ASA Student Chapters program was launched in 2014 to provide opportunities for students to connect with other students interested in statistics and interact with prominent statisticians locally and at national meetings. It also encourages students to continue studying statistics and provides career information in the statistical sciences. There are no scholastic requirements, and students need not be statistics majors. All students are welcomed and encouraged to get involved.
Benefits of Starting an ASA Student Chapter at Your School
- Access to your own chapter microsite at the ASA: We can give you the tools to create your own, or we'll create it for you
- Free ASA membership for your chapter president
- Free items such as T-shirts, caps, and plastic cups with your chapter logo
- Funding to hold social events for your chapter
- Timely information regarding special activities for students at national and local meetings
- Speakers for your chapter meetings
- Great ideas for local program activities from STATtr@k and other ASA websites
There is no cost to start a student chapter at your school, but your student chapter president must be an active member of the ASA. Not already a member? No problem! We'll give your president a free annual membership. Other members of your chapter may join the ASA for only $18.00 per year.
The ASA encourages, but does not require, other student chapter members to become ASA members. Benefits of ASA student membership include the following:
- Subscriptions to Amstat News and Significance; online access to Chance magazine, the Journal of the American Statistical Association, The American Statistician, Statistics in Biopharmaceutical Research, the Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, the Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, Statistics and Public Policy and the Current Index to Statistics
- Networking opportunities with access to thousands of your statistical colleagues through the online ASA Community and special-interest sections
- Career opportunities through the ASA JobWeb, the Career Placement Service at the Joint Statistical Meetings and Conference on Statistical Practice, and internship listings
- Access to several award and scholarship opportunities
- Discounted registration fees for the annual Joint Statistical Meetings, Conference on Statistical Practice, and other ASA-sponsored meetings and educational programs
Learn more at http://www.amstat.org/membership/index.cfm.
To start an ASA Student Chapter at your school, or to affiliate your existing student chapter with the ASA, the chapter faculty advisor or chapter president should complete the ASA Student Chapter Application Form (below) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The scope of the student chapter at your school is limited only by the imagination and effort you choose to put into it.
Pilot ASA Student Chapters:
- Arizona State University Graduate Statistics Club, Arizona State University
- BearStats Statistics Club, University of Cincinnati
- Boston University ASA Student Chapter, Boston University
- Duke University ASA Student Chapter, Duke University
- Evidential Scholars, Saint Louis University
- Florida State University ASA Student Chapter, Florida State University
- George Mason University Chapter of ASA, George Mason University
- Highlander Statistics Society, University of California, Riverside
- Montana State University ASA Student Chapter, Montana State University
- NMSU ASA Student Chapter, New Mexico State University
- Penn State University ASA Student Chapter, Pennsylvania State University
- Purdue University ASA Student Chapter, Purdue University
- UCLA Statistics Club, University of California, Los Angeles
- UMKC ASA Student Chapter, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- UNC Chapel Hill ASA Student Chapter, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Florida ASA Student Chapter, University of Florida
- University of South Florida ASA Student Chapter, University of South Florida
- Williams Statistics Chapter, Williams College
Application for New ASA Student Chapter
Submit to email@example.com