Education > K-12 Education > STatistics Education Web (STEW)
Competition for Best STatistics Education Web (STEW)/Census at School Lesson
Rules and Guidance
Write a STEW lesson plan that incorporates data from the Census at School website. The lesson plan should:
- Demonstrate statistics concept(s) from the grades 4-12 curriculum using Census at School data
- Generate excitement about statistics
- Follow the STEW template, GAISE guidelines (www.amstat.org/education/gaise), and Common Core State Standards (www.corestandards.org)
Grand Prize: $500
Silver Medal Prize: $300
Bronze Medal Prize: $200
*The ASA reserves the right to present fewer awards should entries not be of sufficient quality.
Eligibility and Entry Dates
ASA members, K-16 teachers, and students involved in education-undergraduate or graduate-are eligible to enter. Entries are due by July 15, and winners will be announced in October.
Submit a Word version of the completed STEW lesson to email@example.com.
All entries will be considered for publication on the STEW website and Census at School resources website.
Entries will be judged on the following:
- Completeness of STEW lesson plan (including compliance with the STEW format)
- Originality of the incorporation of Census at School data
- Incorporation of the GAISE guidelines (www.amstat.org/education/gaise) and Common Core State Standards (www.corestandards.org)
Judging will be done by the STEW editor, STEW associate editors, and U.S. Census at School representatives.
For a description of STEW, the STEW lesson plan template, and example STEW lessons, visit the following:
- STEW website: www.amstat.org/education/STEW
- Census at School website: www.amstat.org/censusatschool
- Census at School participant instructions: www.amstat.org/censusatschool/participantinstructions.cfm
- Census at School resources: www.amstat.org/censusatschool/resources.cfm
Additional questions can be directed to Mary Richardson, STEW editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 331-3364.