GAISE II: A Guideline for Precollege Statistics
and Data Science Education
The Pre-K–12 Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Statistics Education II (GAISE II): A Framework for Statistics and Data Science Education is now available for free download . It can also be purchased via Amazon for $15.
The GAISE II report presents a framework for statistics and data science literacy at the elementary-, middle-, and high-school levels and addresses the evolution of data types and skills needed to make sense of the wealth of data that confronts us. Updates include the following:
- The importance of questioning through each stage of the statistical problem-solving process (formulating a statistical investigative question, collecting or considering data, analyzing data, and interpreting results) and how this process remains at the forefront of statistical thinking
- The consideration of different data and variable types and the importance of carefully designing how primary data is collected or secondary data is considered to answer a statistical investigative question, the process of collecting and cleaning data, the interrogation of data, and the analysis of data
- The inclusion of multivariate thinking throughout all levels of K–12 education
- The role of probabilistic thinking in quantifying randomness used by students throughout all school levels
- The shifts and deepening of the role of technology throughout pre-K–12 education
- The importance of how now, more than ever, statistical information is communicated
For more information about GAISE II, see the Harvard Data Science Review article.