Letters Organized, Signed, and/or Sent
This page also includes ASA amicus briefs and responses to calls for comments. ASA’s procedure for signing/sending letters, responding to calls for comment, and filing amicus briefs is explained in ASA’s guide for determining whether to make a public statement on a policy-related issue.
(non-funding letters appear below under “Policy”)
- ASA signs letter in support of budgets for BJS and NIJ: 4/11/22; NIJ 6/10/22; NIJ 3/22/23, BJS 3/22/23.
- ASA thanks Congress for their support for the BLS, NCES, NCHS, and NIH in the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies bill, FY22 Final 3/16/22; FY23 House 7/8/22, FY23 Senate 8/23/22; DeLauro, 1/5/23; Cole, 1/5/23; Murray, 1/5/23.
- ASA supports funding for the U.S. Census Bureau: 4/28/22, 9/8/22, 9/5/23.
- ASA supports science research funding (non-NIH)
- ASA supports funding for other federal statistical agencies
- ASA signs letter urging strong allocation for appropriations bill that funds NSF, Census, and two other federal statistical agencies, 5/11/22.
For older Funding letters, see Science Policy Archives
- ASA Executive Director Ron Wasserstein urges West Virginia University to continue its PhD program in mathematics, 8/30/2023.
- ASA responds to the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) call for input for its Generative AI Working Group, 7/18/23.
- ASA signs letter supporting President Biden’s nomination of Dr. Monica Bertagnolli as director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and urging her rapid confirmation, 6/12/23.
- ASA, COPAFS, PAA, and former NCHS leaders respond to Congressional RFI on CDC reform with input regarding NCHS, 4/21/23.
- ASA provides the Senate HELP Committees its NCES recommendation for reauthorization of the Education Sciences Reform Act of 2002, 4/14/23.
- ASA comments on Initial Proposals For Updating OMB's Race and Ethnicity Statistical Standards, 4/7/23.
- ASA priorities for National Center for Education Statistics in reauthorization of Education Sciences Reform Act (ESRA)
- ASA provides comment for Request for Information Proposed Simplified Review Framework for NIH Research Project Grant Applications, 3/10/23.
- ASA joins Friends of NCSH letter to CDC’s Mary Wakefield spotlighting NCHS’ core role within the CDC and HHS and urging that its role figure prominently in her reorganization considerations; 11/15/22.
- ASA Scientific and Public Affairs Advisory Committee responds to call for comments on Standard Application Process (SAP) Portal, 12/2/22.
- ASA urges OMB to fully implement recommendations in Year 2 Report of the Advisory Committee on Data for Evidence Building (ACDEB), 11/3/22.
- ASA writes to Iranian representative to the UN urging “the leadership of the country of Iran to do everything in its power to immediately halt the imminent execution of Dr. Ahmadreza Djalali, an Iranian-Swedish scholar of disaster medicine wrongfully sentenced to death in Iran”, 5/17/22.
- ASA provides comment from two committee on White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Request for Information to Support the Development of a Federal Scientific Integrity Policy Framework, 4/1/22.
- Former Chief Statisticians of the US and statistical agency leaders write OMB director about strengthening the role of the Chief Statistician of the US, 3/17/22.
- ASA provides comment from Privacy and Confidentiality Committee on the Interagency Council on Statistical Policy's Recommendation for a Standard Application Process (SAP) for Requesting Access to Certain Confidential Data Assets, 3/14/22.
For older Policy letters, see Archive