Letters Organized, Signed, and/or Sent
This page also includes ASA amicus briefs and responses to calls for comments. ASA’s procedure for signing/sending letters, responding to calls for comment, and filing amicus briefs is explained in ASA’s guide for determining whether to make a public statement on a policy-related issue.
(non-funding letters appear below under “Policy”)
- ASA signs letter in support of budgets for BJS and NIJ: 4/11/22; NIJ 6/10/22.
- ASA thanks Congress for their support for the BLS, NCES, NCHS, and NIH in the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies bill, FY20 5/13/19; FY21 7/13/20, 7/15/21; FY22 Murray 11/4/21, Blunt 11/4/21; FY22 Final 3/16/22.
- ASA supports funding for the U.S. Census Bureau: 5/14/20, 6/22/20, 10/23/20, 4/8/21, 11/8/21, 12/2/21, 4/28/22.
- ASA supports science research funding (non-NIH)
- ASA supports funding for other federal statistical agencies
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: 5/22/20, 12/9/20.
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics: House Science, Space, & Technology Committee, 6/4/21; House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, 6/7/21, 5/3/22.
- ERS and NASS: 4/6/20, 3/19/21, 4/26/21.
- Energy Information Administration: 3/20/20.
- National Center for Education Statistics: 2/25/20, 3/23/20, 5/22/20, 12/9/20, 2/5/21, 3/23/21, 11/16/21; 4/7/22.
- National Center for Health Statistics: 3/13/20, 5/22/20, 12/9/20, 3/29/21, FY23 Priorities of Friends of NCHS, 4/27/22.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis: 4/7/20, 11/30/20, 5/20/22.
- ASA signs letter urging strong allocation for appropriations bill that funds NSF, Census, and two other federal statistical agencies, 3/11/20, 4/19/21, 5/11/22.
- ASA signs letter encouraging “Congress to include $3 billion in emergency relief for the National Science Foundation (NSF) while providing relief to all federal science agencies”; 1/27/21.
- ASA organizes letter encouraging Congress to provide the National Center for Education Statistics $5 million in the next COVID-19 emergency relief package to establish and execute a school “pulse survey”; 2/1/21.
For older Funding letters, see Science Policy Archives
- ASA writes to Iranian representative to the UN urging “the leadership of the country of Iran to do everything in its power to immediately halt the imminent execution of Dr. Ahmadreza Djalali, an Iranian-Swedish scholar of disaster medicine wrongfully sentenced to death in Iran”, 5/17/22.
- ASA provides comment from two committee on White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Request for Information to Support the Development of a Federal Scientific Integrity Policy Framework, 4/1/22.
- ASA provides comment from Privacy and Confidentiality Committee on the Interagency Council on Statistical Policy's Recommendation for a Standard Application Process (SAP) for Requesting Access to Certain Confidential Data Assets, 3/14/22.
ASA president joins with the leaders of RSS and ISI on a letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis calling for “an end to the now 10-year persecution of Andreas Georgiou and his full exoneration.” 10/7/21.
- ASA provides National Academies Panel statistical perspectives on furthering education research at Department of Education, 10/5/21.
- ASA supports nomination of Adriana Kugler to be US executive director of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 9/23/21.
- ASA signs letter to congress urging they “create additional employment-based visas specifically for international students who earn, or previously earned, advanced STEM degrees in the US;” 9/8/21.
- ASA provides comments to White House Office of Science and Technology Policy with Information To Improve Federal Scientific Integrity Policies, 7/28/21.
- ASA joins letter congratulating Eric Lander on Senate confirmation to be Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, 7/21/21.
- ASA writes Education Secretary Miguel Cardona with requests to ensure more objective, timely and reliable education statistics, 8/5/21.
- ASA organizes letter to US Senate signed by 30+ organizations supporting nomination of 2021 ASA President Robert Santos to be director of the US Census Bureau, 7/14/21.
- ASA joins with 47 other scientific organizations on letter to Congress expressing “the evidence-based urgency of boldly addressing climate change and encourage you to act quickly,” 6/30/21.
- ASA Executive Director writes to Senator Schatz in support of the Census Federal Advisory Committee on Transparency and Standards Act (Census FACTS Act).
- 2022 ASA President Kathy Ensor sends letter to US Senate in strong support of President Biden’s nomination of Robert Santos to be US Census Director, urging his swift confirmation, 4/15/21.
- ASA leadership writes to DOD Director of Basic Research, stating, “more engagement of statisticians in DOD research will result in more robust science,” 3/25/21.
- The ASA supports Health STATISTICS Act, 3/15/21.
- ASA submits amicus brief in Supreme Court case, Wolf v. Innovation Law Lab.
- ASA supports nomination of Eric Lander for director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, 1/29/21.
- ASA submits amicus brief in Supreme Court case, FCC v. Prometheus Radio Project.
- ASA signs letter to Congress in support of federal career civil servants, 12/11/20.
- ASA signs letter to Congress in support of the National AI Initiative, 11/10/20.
For older Policy letters, see Archive