Committees > Committee Details
COPSS Fisher Lecture Selection Committee
Visit the COPSS Fisher Lecture Selection Committee home page
The R.A. Fisher Lectureship was established in 1963 by COPSS to honor both the contributions of Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher and the work of a present-day statistician for their advancement of statistical theory and applications. The Fisher Lectureship is a very high recognition of meritorious achievement and scholarship in statistical science and recognizes highly significant impact of statistical methods on scientific investigations. COPSS has required that the Lectureship be awarded each year and that when possible the lecture be presented each year at the Joint Annual Meeting of Societies. The lecturer shall be selected by the COPSS R. A. Fisher Lecture and Award Committee which is chosen to reflect the interests of the member Societies.
The lectureship is governed by the following conditions:
(1) The R. A. Fisher Lectureship is to be awarded yearly to an eminent statistician for outstanding contributions to the theory and applications of statistics.
(2) R. A. Fisher Lecture shall be presented at a designated Annual Meeting of the COPSS Societies.
(3) The lecture shall be broadly based and emphasize those aspects of statistics and probability which bear close relationship to the scientific collection and interpretation of data, areas in which Fisher made outstanding contributions.
(4) The lecture shall be scheduled so as to have no conflict with any other session at the meeting.
(5) The Chair of the lecture shall be the Chair of the COPSS R. A. Fisher Lecture Committee of the Chairs' designee. The Chair shall be present for a short statement of the life and works of R. A. Fisher, not to exceed 5 minutes in duration.
(6) The lecturer is expected to prepare a manuscript based on the appropriate lecture and to submit it to one of the COPSS society journals.