Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award
For her outstanding contribution to the profession of statistics with her article, “Reversing the Legacy of Junk Science in the Courtroom,” in Science Magazine. The article clearly explains the statistical issues in forensic science and how statisticians are helping to encourage proper interpretation of forensic evidence in the courtroom. She describes studies undertaken by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the Department of Justice to develop standards for collecting and evaluating ballistic markings, fingerprints, shoeprints, tire tracks, bite marks, and other forensic evidence.
About the Award
The Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award was established to recognize members of the media for their presentation of the science of statistics and its role in public life. The award can be given for a single statistical presentation or for sustained worthy contributions to the statistical profession. Honorees receive an engraved award.
The Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award is bestowed upon a distinguished individual based on the following criteria:
- Correctness, clarity, fairness, brevity, and professionalism of communications
- Importance, relevance, and overall effectiveness in affecting the intended audience
- Impact on the growth and national or regional exposure of statistics
- Appreciation for and emphasis of the statistical aspects of a particular issue or event
- Excellent coverage of research on statistics or statistical issues
Award Recipient Responsibilities
The award recipient is responsible for providing a current photograph and general personal information, along with permission to reprint the article in ASA promotional materials the year the award is presented. The American Statistical Association uses this information to publicize the award and prepare the prize.
Nominations are due by March 1 and require the following:
- Nominating letter - not to exceed two pages
- Three letters of support - not to exceed two pages each and saved as a .pdf file - are to be uploaded by the writer using this link. Instruct the reference writers to include the candidate's last name in the file name.
- Supporting documentation
- Candidate’s headshot
Please contact the committee chair.