Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award
Hansi Lo Wang
National Public Radio
The recipient of the 2019 Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award is Hansi Lo Wang, National Correspondent, National Public Radio. Mr. Wang is recognized for extensive, deep and broad, up-to-the minute coverage of events concerning the addition of a citizenship question and other issues related to planning the 2020 Census as well as aspects of Census Bureau statistical surveys. He thoroughly covered the political path of adding a citizenship question to the 2020 Census, experts’ assessments of the effect of a citizenship question on Census survey response rates, stakeholder groups’ response to the idea of adding the question, and the legal challenges made and court trials pursuing the ultimate fate of the question. He has taken great care to understand all aspects of the subject, and to report in an objective, clear manner, increasing the potential for social impact. Between March 2017 and January 2019, Mr. Wang delivered over 80 substantive stories on weighty issues concerning the U.S. Census Bureau and its statistical surveys.
About the Award
The Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award was established to recognize members of the media for their presentation of the science of statistics and its role in public life. The award can be given for a single statistical presentation or for sustained worthy contributions to the statistical profession. Honorees receive an engraved award plus some travel reimbursement.
The Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award is bestowed upon a distinguished individual based on the following criteria:
- Correctness, clarity, fairness, brevity, and professionalism of communications
- Importance, relevance, and overall effectiveness in affecting the intended audience
- Impact on the growth and national or regional exposure of statistics
- Appreciation for and emphasis of the statistical aspects of a particular issue or event
- Excellent coverage of research on statistics or statistical issues
Award Recipient Responsibilities
The award recipient is responsible for providing a current photograph and general personal information, along with permission to reprint the article in ASA promotional materials the year the award is presented. The American Statistical Association uses this information to publicize the award and prepare the prize.
Nominations are due by March 1 and require the following:
- Nominating letter - not to exceed two pages
- Three letters of support - not to exceed two pages each and saved as a .pdf file - are to be uploaded by the writer using this link. Instruct the reference writers to include the candidate's last name in the file name.
- Supporting documentation
- Candidate’s headshot
Please contact the committee chair.