Jackie Dietz Best Journal of Statistics and Data Science Education Paper Award
In honor of Thomas Short for his contributions to JSDSE and the greater statistics education community.
Heather S. Smith
California Polytechnic State University
LISA, University of Colorado-Boulder
For their paper, “The ASCCR Frame for Learning Essential Collaboration Skills”
About the Award
Established in 2011 and named in honor of Jackie Dietz, founding editor of the Journal of Statistics and Data Science Education (JSDSE), the award is presented annually to the best paper among all those appearing in the JSDSE.
The award is presented at the Joint Statistical Meetings each year and consists of a certificate and $1,500, which is provided by a fund created by William I. Notz. The cash prize is divided evenly among the authors of the paper selected.
Consistent with the JSDSE editorial policy:
- For the improvement of statistics education at all levels, including elementary, secondary, post-graduate, continuing, and workplace education.”
- Enhance the exchange of a diversity of interesting and useful information among educators, practitioners, and researchers around the world.”
- Intended audience includes anyone who teaches statistics, as well as those interested in research on statistical and probabilistic reasoning.”
- Presents original, novel ideas
- Provides new insights in some area of statistics education
- Has the potential to benefit a wide audience of readers
- Includes practical ideas statistics teachers can use to improve their teaching
- Deals with important ideas
- Demonstrates some depth of investigation in a topic
- Engages and entices the reader
- Expresses ideas clearly, efficiently, and accurately
Award Recipient Responsibilities
The award recipient(s) are responsible for providing a current photograph and general information, along with permission to reprint the work in ASA promotional materials.
Outside nominations are not accepted.
Please contact the committee chair.