In recognition of his innovative approaches to teaching and statistical collaboration, bringing the importance of statistics in daily life to his students and others, and for his tireless work to reform statistics education at his own institution and beyond.
Distinguished Teaching Career Award
Beth L. Chance
California Polytechnic State University
In recognition of tireless and inspiring dedication to her students' learning, creative and effective teaching of undergraduate statistics, high-impact contributions to curriculum and software development, and highly regarded statistics education research.
About the Awards
The Waller Awards were established by a contribution from retired ASA Executive Director Ray Waller and his wife, Carolyn. The Waller Education Award honors individuals for innovation in the instruction of elementary statistics. The Waller Distinguished Teaching Career Award recognizes an individual for sustained excellence in teaching and statistics education. Recipients for each award are presented with a certificate and $1000.
Waller Education Award
Nominees should be early in their career, with 10 or fewer years of full-time teaching, and have the responsibility of teaching the first course in statistics in a two- or four-year college or research university. Graduate teaching assistants are eligible for nomination. The recipient will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Commitment to teaching elementary statistics
- Demonstrated innovation in teaching elementary statistics
- Letters of support from students, colleagues, and supervisors
- Broader impact of the nominee on statistical education beyond the nominee’s institution
Waller Distinguished Teaching Career Award
Nominees must have 20 or more years of statistics teaching experience. The recipient will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Excellence in teaching across a variety of statistics courses
- Innovation, scholarship, and creative efforts in education
- Impact in statistics education beyond the nominee’s institution
Nominees who are active in teaching and education-related scholarship will receive stronger consideration from the selection committee.
Award Recipient Responsibilities
Award recipients will be responsible for providing a current photograph and general personal information the year the award is presented. The American Statistical Association uses this information to publicize the award and prepare the prize.
Nominations are due by February 15 and require the following:
- Nominating letter - not to exceed four pages
- Candidate’s CV
- Four letters of support - not to exceed two pages each
- Candidate’s headshot
Please contact the committee chair.